Please click here to download an application for off-ice classes.
Kathy McPherson, DPT, PT
Kathy McPherson, Physical Therapist and Figure Skater, member of USFSA, Colonial FSC, Professional Skaters’ Association and American Physical Therapy Association. She has been a Physical Therapist since 2002, and has an MS in Physical Therapy from Northeastern University and a Doctorate of Physical Therapy from Simmons College.
Click here to visit Kathy's website.
Participation in off-ice training programs are well established in the world of figure skating as one way skaters can maximize their performance and help avoid injury. Identifying past or existing problems and deficiencies in flexibility or strength can also help to prevent injuries or plateaus in performance as skaters move into the competitive season.
- To establish a comprehensive strength, conditioning, flexibility and injury prevention program for skaters to promote optimal gains in performance.
- To help manage the physical needs of skaters through an integrated approach, using other disciplines when needed.
- To improve concentration, control, centering, flowing movement, precision and breathing through a series of exercise focused on core stabilization.
- To improve posture and increase knowledge of body in motion.
- To conduct assessment sessions that identify the needs of each skater.
- To develop, implement, and supervise an off-ice training program for strength and conditioning.
- To educate skaters about common injuries and how to prevent injuries.
- To establish independent training programs for the season.
Baseline Assessment $100 (required for all new skaters)
- Past history and injury review
- Physical Therapy screen
- Baseline strength testing
Warm-up and interval training class: Start your Saturday morning with a warm-up and cardiovascular training class! Walk-ins welcome. Assessment not required.
Private Lessons Available. Please note that all participants must be a member of CFSC or will be assessed a $50 CFSC off-ice user fee. For questions, please contact Kathy.